Thoughts and Observations on Turkish Economy and financial markets. Turkiye Ekonomisi, Borsa, Dolar, Altin, Faiz, Teknik Analiz, Grafik, Hisse Senetleri...

Friday, August 08, 2008

Life in Turkey II

My name is Amer and I'm originally from Palestine, but I lived all my life in Damascus, Syria. I've been living in Istanbul for five years and go to university here.

I thought I'd write about the funny little things to try to convey the simple differences between Turkey and home. So here it goes:

Lemons: The Turks put lemon juice on just about everything!

Food: The waiters take the food away before you've even put the last bite on your plate in your mouth. I've had to slap their hands as they reach for my dinner before I'm done with it. I don't know if it's a sign of good service or they just want me to leave. The same thing goes for drinks. I had many drinks disappear mysteriously before I'd even finished half of them. (more)

By the way, his comments about Turkish waiters are true even in Turkisj restaurants in New York City.